NYIT is the college of choice for more than 14,000 students enrolled in more than 100 specialized courses of study leading to undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees in academic areas such as architecture and design; arts and sciences; education and professional services; engineering and computing sciences; health professions, behavioral, and life sciences; management; and osteopathic medicine. As a private, nonprofit, independent institution of higher learning, NYIT embraces an educational philosophy of career-oriented professional education for all qualified students and supports applications-oriented research to benefit the greater global community. Students attend classes at NYIT’s campuses in Manhattan and Long Island, as well as online and in a number of programs throughout the world. To date, more than 69,000 alumni have earned degrees at NYIT. For more information, visit www.nyit.edu.
About NYIT's de Seversky Center:
NYIT’s de Seversky Center is located on the Old Westbury campus of New York Institute of Technology, at the midpoint on the fabled Gold Coast stretch of Long Island’s North Shore. At a time of optimism and soaring fortunes, captains of industry built grand mansions in lush surroundings that also offered an easy commute to Manhattan. In 1916, Alfred I. du Pont commissioned architect Thomas Hastings of the firm of Carrere & Hastings to design a neoclassical Georgian mansion, which he called White Eagle. It was completed in 1918 at a cost of more than $1 million. Mrs. du Pont, the former Alicia Bradford Maddox, died unexpectedly in 1920, and when du Pont remarried in 1926, he sold the mansion to Frederick E. and Amy Phipps Guest. The Guests renamed the estate Templeton. Mrs. Guest stayed on at the estate after her husband’s death in 1937. When her parents left their Fifth Avenue residence in Manhattan, she had the marble entry hall and stairs moved to Templeton. Upon Mrs. Guest’s death in 1959, the mansion was inherited by her son, Winston Guest, a well-known international polo player. In 1972, New York Institute of Technology purchased Templeton from the Guest family and renamed it after the famous Russian aviator Alexander P. de Seversky, a member of the NYIT board of trustees who was instrumental in the acquisition.
The Center for Energy, Environment, and Economics at NYIT:
The purpose of the center is to conduct research, evaluate policy options, and advance the use of environmentally friendly technology in the areas of energy generation, air pollution, water resources, solid waste management, and transportation. Center personnel carry out studies and experiments, and realize analyses for the public and private sectors.
One primary goal of the center is to disseminate the results of its efforts. Therefore, in addition to traditional reporting, it engages in and promotes public education of the issues and, from time to time, holds major conferences on a variety of themes relating to its mission.
In conjunction with NYIT’s School of Engineering, the center also serve as a demonstration site for new, energy-efficient, alternative, renewable-resource technologies. These demonstrations of new and useful systems are open to the public, the governmental sector, and the corporate world.